Friday 27 May 2011

iPads 1:1 in Kindergarten - troubleshooting

Now that we are a few weeks into the iPads trial I need to catch up on my blogging ...
Initially the iPads were used in Kindergarten as an extension of the learning program. We used many Math applications such as Everyday Maths Monster Squeeze and Lobster Diver to allow students extra practice of their numeracy skills. This went fairly well but what I was keen to get happening was some student creation work where the kids made things to deepen their current learning.

Easier said than done!!

There are a lot of apps on the iTunes store, however trying to match an app with, the student's ability, needs and desired current learning outcomes is no easy feat. I have trialled a lot of Apps personally but I hadn't much experience in trying to match an app to sync in with the current learning. Many times I have found the app advanced too quickly for the level of the students - or to have too much text (not great for beginner readers) which made it less assessable.

I can see the need to create an app database at my school so that we can keep a record of what has been used and how it matched with the learning. This would normally go on the UOI planner but I think it needs to be put somewhere like a wiki so that it can be contributed to by different teachers.

Another issue this week has been with syncing. It is far better for the students to have email accounts so that screen grabs and other work can be easily transferred. I would also like to set up a Dropbox for Kindergarten in the future to make the transfer of student created work easier. Time is needed to develop these systems properly.

I wonder how other schools cope with these issues? I guess my challenge here is that the students that I am working with are very young and need to be working within a closed safe community.

More thoughts later ...



1 comment:

  1. This is not the first of your posts I've read, and you never cease to amaze me. Thank you, and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete